Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back is a game developed by Black Forest Games released on October 31, 2017 for PC and PlayStation 4. The game is the fifth entry in the Bubsy series, and the first new entry in 21 years.
Our favorite Bobcat is making a triumphant return 20 years after virtually disappearing from the world stage (N64/PS1). Yes, that’s right, Bubsy is back and starring in an all new adventure, Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back! Yep, those no-good, yarn stealing always annoying intergalactic trolls, the Woolies, are up to their no-good ways once again! They’ve stolen Bubsy’s most prized possession, the Golden Fleece. Now Bubsy is on a one Bobcat mission taking on Woolies, Bumble Bees, Sharks, and UFO's to collect an insane amount of yarnballs and bring his Holy Grail of Wool home.
2D, or not 2D? Bubsy thinks 3D is so 1998 that he’s going back to the 2D well with a huge assist with his good friends at Black Forest for 14 rip roaring levels of side scrolling action. Watch Bubsy glide like a bat, jump like a jack rabbit, bounce like a red rubber ball and run…run Bubsy run. This is the Bubsy adventure you were born to play.
- 2.5D Platformer with beautiful 3D models and stunning levels and backgrounds
- Multitude of character animations and expressions that brings the iconic Bubsy to life as never before
- Jump, glide, and pounce through 14 levels of thrill, excitement and yarn!
- Local and global leaderboards - compete for high scores with your friends and the world!
- Unlock treasures, powers, and extra lives to create all time high scores
The gameplay is similar to that of Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind and Bubsy II, and will be a side-scroller. Bubsy will collect yarn, glide, wall jump and fight bosses similar to that of Claws Encounters. It will be unlike Bubsy 3D, which was a third person platformer game.
DevelopmentThe game was first announced on June 8, 2017, as a brand-new game in the Bubsy series of video games. The entry is the first one in the series in 21 years, following 1996's Bubsy 3D.The game was announced as the first of many game franchise revivals of Accolade games (which, along with Bubsy, is a brand name now operated by Hong Kong company Billionsoft), including potential revivals of HardBall!, Slave Zero, Deadlock: Planetary Conquest, Eradicator, and Redline. The game was published by Tommo's subsidiary UFO Interactive Games, and developed by Black Forest Games, who previously worked on reviving the dormant Giana Sisters series with Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. Like Twisted Dreams, the game was developed using the Havok physics engine. To make Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back an improvement over previous games in the series, Black Forest Games reduced Bubsy's acceleration time, and applied better traction, thus giving the player better control of the character. In August 2017, a limited edition, called the Purrfect Edition, was announced for the PlayStation 4 release, which contains a physical copy of the game, a soundtrack CD, a copy of Bubsy's official "business card", and a "Mystery Bubsy Movie Poster postcard".
The game announcement was generally not well-received by video game journalists, whose reactions ranged from indifference to irritation. Accolade seemed to expect this, taking an approach similar to Sega with promoting Sonic the Hedgehog on social media; a dedicated Twitter account for the character that makes self-deprecating and aware comments about the franchise's negative reception of some past titles was created.
- Unlike the other games in the series, it starts with a tutorial level.
- Bubsy is voiced by a different voice actor from the previous games, this time by Dan Castellaneta.
- The end level codes feature the names of other game mascots Mario and Sonic.
- At the end of the level "Star Claws: The Fur Awakens" the next level code is BRLYN, a tribute to Bubsy character creator Michael Berlyn.
- The game's title, 'The Woolies Strike Back' is a parody of Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.